Friday, August 29, 2008

Kennedy's first day of School



Kennedy started Kindergarten yesterday, she has been counting down the days (I have not been quite as exited). She wanted to ride the bus to school on her first day and I thought o.k. that's fine but we won't tell

her we are going to beat the bus there and take pictures of her walking into the school, getting in her locker, signing her name-mostly embarrassing stuff that Darren and I weren't about to miss. Darren and I were waiting at the school with the video camera and camera in hand waiting for out little girl to get off the bus and chased her into the school to get every shot we could. I have to say it was fun to see her so exited. I held up pretty well (the days before leading up to, not so well) anyway on the ride home Darren had his sunglasses on and I looked over and there were a few tears streaming down his face. There is a song that I don't know the exact words to but something like this...when tough little boys grow up to be dad they turn into big babies again. I was very moved by his emotion. I am very lucky to be married to someone who loves his family. Enough mushy stuff. The first day went great, except that Kennedy forgot to get off the bus. I couldn't find her. The bus driver pulled up to her house and Kennedy asked her what all the buses were for, she said what are you still doing on here? Randy (bus driver) brought Kennedy back to my house and dropped her off right at the front door because Kennedy told her I wouldn't let her walk from the road! Kennedy got to open the doors on the bus and had a jolly old time, telling Randy that "my mom is going to be freaking out," freaking out I was. I lost my daughter the very first day of school. What a day!

8 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

I feel your pain. She's so cute. Why don't you bring her down here to play with Sarah- oh yea, you never come to visit us!

carol said...

oh my heck!! Kennedy cracks me up! I am glad she got such royal treatment from the bus driver. right to the door! I'm glad she had a good day and is liking school. she should have sold Randi some jewelry!

Nicole said...

She is so adorable and I cannot believe she is old enough to go to school!! Darrin is such a keeper!

The Douglas's said...

I can't beleive she is in Kindergarten. Wow! Haha, thats funny that she forgot. Not funny for you, but funny to hear! :) Good thing Randy took care of her :) hee hee

Coop, Trish, and the kids said...

Ok Maydi. I have to comment on the lockers and the carpet. They are exactly the same as they were, dare I say it, 15 years ago. :) That made me laugh....

Jodi said...

That is a great story! especially the part about the bus. It just made me think how lucky you are to live in a small town where the school bus driver knows you well enough to take your little girl to your front door!

Erin said...

Congratulations Kennedy, that is a great story, maydi...you guys are great parents

Anelisa said...

I remember so well when I sent Rory off to Kindergarten the first time. It was awful! (and we didn't have all day Kindergarten then.) Kennedy is such a darling little girl. She always has the biggest smile on her face. You and Darren should be really proud of her--she is awesome!